Everyone is different in what circumstances they experience stress and how they express it. Identifying the symptoms of stress mode is important in two ways: first, more self-awareness and understanding the impact on us; Second, identify warning signs in the early stages of self-adaptation and energy recovery. We usually react to stress in the workplace in two ways: we either reinforce our usual behavior and work style or we do the opposite. In the following, we will explain more about these two types of reactions and at the end, we will express the appropriate solution to deal with stress in the workplace.
The first reaction: strengthening the usual behavior and work style
Some people reinforce their usual work style when they are stressed. Here are some common examples of this. In these examples, during times of stress, either your usual work style is reinforced or your usual behaviors are highlighted and intensified.
- Your conversation style is straightforward; But now he has become outspoken and possibly careless.
- Enjoy group discussion; But now you have gone beyond that and no longer want to make decisions on your own. You hold meetings to reach consensus and group agreement, while there is no need to hold these meetings.
- You are interested in order and detail; But now you do not trust how others do their work Micro management You do; That means you also monitor the details of their work.
- You are an adaptable person and you get along with others; But now you avoid anything that might cause conflict.
- You do things as a group; But now you have become more idealistic than pragmatic.
- You have high energy; But now you feel restless and restless.
- Be confident in your abilities; But now you blame others for every problem, without considering your own role in causing it.
- Challenge yourself to do better; But now you have become self-critical.
- You are a realistic person focused on practical issues; But now you underestimate your own or others’ emotional feelings.
- Focus on the task at hand; But now this focus causes you to oppose any change in appearance.
- You prefer conventional approaches; But now you follow these approaches without any justification or argument.
- You make quick decisions; But now you act without thinking and immediately or you get confused by creating any ambiguity.
Second reaction: Contrary to the usual style and behavior of work, acting
You may have noticed that when you are stressed, your work style is completely reversed and changes to the opposite of the usual style. In this case, you have the following situation:
- You are usually free to express your views and opinions; But now you turn to indirect communication methods such as email.
- You welcome feedback and opinions from others; But now you feel that you have become sensitive to criticism.
- You work in a group; But now you are isolated or impatient.
- You are interested in order and detail; But now you are procrastinating in paying attention to order and details.
- You are an adaptable person and you get along with others; But now you act in a way that makes others angry or you have a domineering and authoritarian behavior.
- You work in a group (group work) and you are a member of the group; But now you have become competitive or individualistic.
- You have high energy; But now you feel very tired or bored.
- You are a realist and pragmatist; But now emotions affect your judgment.
- You generally focus on the task at hand; But now you have difficulty concentrating or you are impatient and restless to achieve fast results.
- You prefer conventional approaches; But now you have become rebellious or individualistic.
- You make quick decisions (quick decisions); But now you are analyzing or thinking too much about things.
Strategies for overcoming work stress
Try to identify your usual work style. Think about how you act when you feel in control of everything in the workplace. Then think about what you are doing right now. You may find that your work style in times of stress is almost your daily work style. If so, it means that you have been suffering from burnout for a long time. Burnout means excessive mental, emotional and physical fatigue due to long-term and chronic work stress.
Think about how your work style changes during times of job stress. You can also ask your co-worker to express his or her feelings and perceptions. It is important for you to be aware of the obvious signs; Because by being aware of these symptoms, you can move in the right direction to deal with stress.
It should be noted that strengthening or changing the work style in times of stress, each has its disadvantages and advantages. For example, a person who reinforces his work style seems relatively consistent in his approach and others know what he wants to achieve; But no one understands and does not realize that he is stressed. If so, you need to tell others that you are stressed and need help.
On the other hand, a person who changes his work style may seem unpredictable or unstable. Maybe this will cause others To be disgusted How they will treat you and what your personality will be; At the same time, it makes it much easier for those around you to understand your stress and come to your aid.
Our approach to the work stress of others
We need to understand the fact that a person’s behavior in times of stress is not his character or personality and he is only in a state of stress. Take a moment to think about whether, instead of paying attention to the fact that the other person was stressed, you considered his / her work style as his / her innate characteristic. You can also look for signs of stress in co-workers, bosses, employees, etc. so you can communicate with them and ask how you can help them.