Do you use a variety of jewelry and ornaments? If you are interested in jewelry such as earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings and would like to make your own jewelry, I have good news for you. You can easily make resin jewelry to your liking. To make resin jewelry, it is enough to prepare the necessary materials and follow the relevant tips carefully. Due to the variety of synthetic resins, there are no limits to creativity in design. In this article, we will talk about making resin jewelry, its important points and the problems that may occur when making it. At the end of the article, we will answer the frequently asked questions about this.
Types of resins
The first thing you need to know is that not all resins are the same. Sometimes there are many differences in how different types of resin are processed. You can choose between epoxy resin, polyester resin or UV resin to make resin jewelry.
1. Epoxy resin
Epoxy resin has a beautiful and transparent surface and, therefore, is ideal for the production of jewelry. To use this type of resin, you have to mix it with a firming agent in a certain ratio.
2. Polyester resin
This type of resin dries very quickly and is also very strong. This resin is primarily used for parts such as boat buildings or profile plates. You also need a hardener to use this type of resin.
3. UV resin
UV resin is another famous and very practical resin. This type of resin does not need to be mixed with another component and under complete UV light using a special lamp, it hardens completely in a few minutes. However, it can only be cast and molded in thin layers. Since jewelry is usually a very small piece, this is not a problem.
Applied decorative elements in the manufacture of resin jewelry
If you are new to jewelry, you should know that pigments, flowers, small stones, shells, pearls and wreaths are examples of decorative elements to add a special effect to the resin.
Tips on decorative elements:
- Very fragile objects such as dried flowers should be placed very carefully on the resin layer;
- Because compact but small, light particles, such as crowns or small beads, remain stable in the resin, it is best to mix them with the resin before molding;
- Heavier elements such as small rocks and crystals sink quickly into the resin, so such objects must be poured between separate layers of resin.
- If you do not work here skillfully enough, the elements themselves will not be visible in the resin, but will only form unpleasant masses.
Learning to make resin jewelry
Materials needed to make resin jewelry
- safety glasses;
- Silicone mold;
- Ice cream stick to stir the solution;
- Container for mixing resin and hardener.
How to make resin jewelry
Step 1: Prepare before making resin jewelry
- Once you have decided to make your own resin jewelry, the first step is to choose the right silicone mold;
- Then you need to estimate at least approximately how much resin you need to fill the mold;
- Now mix half of the calculated amount with the catalyst, stir a little with an ice cream stick until they are completely absorbed;
- If you want to make colorful ornaments, now is the time to add your favorite color to the mix.
Step 2: Pour the resin into the mold
- After adding the color and obtaining a homogeneous solution, pour it into the mold;
- After that, you should give it at least 24 hours (or the time it’s written) to dry;
- If you want to put decorative things inside the resin, you can put them on the first layer of resin after hardening;
- Once the decorative elements are securely fixed, you can fill the rest of the silicone mold with resin;
- If you are interested in wreath jewelry and would like to use a wreath, you can now add it;
- Now everything must be completely dry;
- Instructions on the resin package provide information about the setting time.
Step 3: Separate the resin jewelry from the mold
- The exact time of hardening of the resin and its complete preparation varies in different brands. Usually after about 48 hours, the workpiece hardens enough to detach from the mold;
- Be careful not to damage the sharp edges at the bottom of the mold when removing it.
Step 4: Last tips on resin jewelry
- If sharp edges form during hardening, you can easily remove them with fine sandpaper;
- Polishing paste and soft fabrics will give a beautiful shine to your resin jewelry;
- The use of polished spray as a glossy coating gives an attractive electric shine to the products you make;
- Adding metal pieces to the jewelry you make gives it a unique look.
Common problems in making resin jewelry
Let’s take a look at some of the problems that can occur when making your resin jewelry.
Flowers embedded in the resin may turn yellow or wither
To maintain the fresh appearance of the flowers, it is better to dry them first and then cover the surface with ultraviolet varnish. Also, you can add a little bit of the same color to the flowers to make them look fresh. Following the correct methods when placing flowers in resin jewelry is the only way to maintain their shape and color.
Bubbles often form on handmade resin jewelry
During the process of mixing the resin with the hardener, bubbles will form in your solution. To remove these bubbles, you can mix the resin and hardener with a hair dryer so that all the bubbles come to the surface of the solution and burst one by one.
Resin jewelry is harmful in liquid form
When you want to mix the resin with the hardener and the resin is still in the liquid state, it may release harmful vapors. However, when the resin is completely hardened, it is no longer toxic. To be sure, check that your epoxy resin is free of bisphenol A. It is recommended to use protective equipment such as gloves and masks when working with resin. Your workplace should also be well ventilated and in a separate room.
The resin turns yellow over time
Most resins eventually turn yellow over time, especially if they are frequently exposed to sunlight. The quality of your resin, as well as the addition of a UV filter or stabilizer, will delay its yellowing.
Frequently Asked Questions About Resin Jewelry
1. Are resin jewelry waterproof?
Yes, resin jewelry is waterproof. However, as the metals used to make jewelry may be damaged, remove your jewelry from your body when showering, swimming, or working with water.
2. How long is resin jewelry?
Resin jewelry usually lasts a long time. It is better to avoid placing jewelry at high temperatures and you should take proper care of it.
3. Are resin jewelry safe for children?
Once the resin has hardened, it is safe to use for children as well as pregnant women.