Have you ever tried oatmeal? If you like the taste of oatmeal, you will definitely enjoy eating this rich and delicious drink. Different people may know this drink by different names, such as oatmeal extract; But the name of this drink is oat milk. This hearty drink is suitable for those who are lactose intolerant or looking for a plant-based alternative to cow’s milk. Read more about how to make oat milk.
What is oat milk?
Double barley milk is prepared by smoothing and homogenizing the soaked barley with water. If you want to try this delicious drink, you should soak the oats for a few hours. It takes about 25 minutes to prepare, apart from soaking the barley for at least 4 hours and refining it for 1 hour. With the amounts you see in this recipe, you can make 750 ml of oat milk.
Nutritional value per 100 ml
- 35 calories;
- 1 gram of fat;
- Carbohydrates 5 g;
- 0 grams of sugar;
- 1 gram of fiber;
- 2 grams of protein;
- 0.3 grams of salt;
- Oatmeal 100 grams;
- 750 ml of cold water;
- Some salt.
How to prepare
- Pour the oatmeal into a bowl and pour water over it until the whole barley is completely under water;
- Cover the bowl with a lid or kitchen towel;
- Place the container in a cool place;
- Wait at least 4 hours or overnight for the barley to soak.
- Pass the resulting mixture through a strainer to drain the water;
- Rinse the remaining atmosphere for a few seconds.
- Pour the soaked barley into a blender or food processor;
- Add 750 ml of cold water and half a teaspoon of salt;
- Mix it thoroughly for 2 to 4 minutes until it is completely soft and smooth and the atmosphere inside is not clear;
- The more you mix it and the smoother it becomes, the creamier the texture of the oat milk eventually becomes.
- Cover a sieve with a clean, smooth cloth. This fabric should have small holes;
- You can also use very fine strainers or coffee filters.
- Place the strainer on a plate and pour the mixed oatmeal into it;
- Let stand for 1 hour until completely smooth;
- Once every few minutes, remove the sediment from the filter with a spoon to clear the liquid more quickly.
- When most of the water has entered the container, wrap the cloth around the pulp and press to remove the latest dangers of oat milk;
- You can throw away the leftovers or use it as a natural body scrub.
- If you want to have a thinner milk, add 50 ml of cold water to this liquid;
- Then pour it into a special container and store in the refrigerator;
- This milk can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days;
- Shake before each use.
Tips on how to prepare oat milk
1. Ready-made oat milk foams better
Ready-made oatmeal milk that you buy in stores foams due to some additives; While household milk does not foam. For this reason, barley milk has become very popular in cafes as a substitute for cow’s milk and is used to make coffee. If you want to use this milk feature, you have to buy ready-made milk.
2. Homemade oat milk condenses on heat
Oatmeal milk hardens very quickly when heated. For this reason, you can not make hot drinks such as chocolate milk.
3. You can taste this milk
You can use a little sugar and vanilla extract to flavor the milk. You can even add cinnamon powder. Do not worry about adding sugar. Cow’s milk also has some sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Make Oatmeal
What is the best oatmeal to make milk?
The best oatmeal to make this milk is fine barley. Coarse flakes or oatmeal grains are too large to do so, causing them to not mix well and take longer to soak. The thicker the oatmeal, the longer it takes to soak.
To make sure the oatmeal is ready to mix, press a grain between two fingers. If completely crushed, it is ready to prepare oat milk.
– What can we do to prevent double milk from becoming sticky and slippery?
The first thing to do is not to over-mix the soaked oatmeal. If you use strong mixers for this purpose, do not mix it for more than 45 seconds. If you keep it in the blender for a long time, it will gradually start to heat up, which will cause the mixture to become gelatinous and slippery.
The second point is not to wet the atmosphere too much, because it absorbs too much water. Excess starch should also be taken well during the refining step. If the resulting milk still looks slippery, you can flatten it twice.
– What should I do with oatmeal pulp?
Oatmeal pulp can be used in many different ways. You can add it to soups and sauces to make it thicker and glazed. You can even make a puree by adding a little oatmeal and some milk, and enjoy it with the desired topping, for example, fruit slices.
Is oat milk good for your health?
Oatmeal has many properties for the body. Oatmeal lowers high blood pressure and bad cholesterol. Oatmeal is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
– What should I do if I do not have a mixer?
The blender is the best tool for making oat milk. However, if you do not have a blender, you can use a food processor or hand mixer, known as an electric meat grinder. Whatever tool you use, make sure the mixture is perfectly smooth and even.
– What should I do if the oat milk is not smooth with the cloth?
You need to be patient to make oatmeal, as it takes some time to clear. If the liquid has stopped filtering, remove the pulp with a spoon. If it still does not work, transfer the mixture to a container, wash the polishing cloth and use it again.
– What should I do if the oat milk is too thin?
If only water comes out of the fabric when you clean it, you may not have chosen the right fabric and it has very small holes. You can replace the fabric with a fine filter. If you use fabric, you can press it several times to remove the oat extract.
– What should I do if the oat milk is too thick?
If the milk is too thick, you can add cold water to it to find the concentration you want.
– Oatmeal milk is separated. What should I do?
Like coconut milk, this happens in two-headed barley milk and some of it settles. This is perfectly normal and should be shaken before use. If it precipitates when added to coffee, it is because the coffee reacts with the milk and separates the liquid and fat; Especially if the milk is cold and the coffee is hot.
If you have tried this vegetable milk before, share your experiences on how to make oat milk with other “how” companions.