Mayonnaise is one of the most popular and delicious condiments. The origin of this popular dish is French. In most cases, we all buy mayonnaise ready-made. We suggest you make this delicious sauce at home, you ask why? For three reasons: it is fresh, it is easy to make, and the third and most important reason is that it does not contain any harmful substances. If you only make this delicious sauce once at home, you will feel the difference and you will no longer be ready to look for products. Join us with how to prepare mayonnaise.
Nutritional value of homemade mayonnaise
|Saturated fat||2 grams|
|Vitamin A||20 units (iu)|
|Vitamin C||0.2 mg|
Time and ingredients for making homemade mayonnaise
Time required to make the sauce: 5 minutes
– 2 large eggs
– 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice (or vinegar)
– 1 cup of flavored oil (such as light olive oil, grape seed oil, walnut oil or sweet almond oil)
– A small amount of good quality sea salt
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks;
- Set the egg whites aside for another purpose (such as making meringue) and pour the egg yolks into an electric meat grinder;
- Add fresh lemon juice to the bowl and stir well;
- While stirring gently, pour a few drops of oil into the bowl;
- When the mayonnaise starts to thicken, add the oil to the mixture in a slow, steady stream;
- If the oil starts to thicken, stop pouring and stir the mayonnaise vigorously until the oil is completely mixed;
- If the mayonnaise looks too thick, add some water to make it the consistency you want. Add about a teaspoon of water each time;
- After the oil is completely mixed, the mayonnaise should be thick and fluffy;
- Season it with finely chopped sea salt;
- Once you have made the mayonnaise, transfer it to a sealed container and store in the refrigerator. This mayonnaise in the refrigerator Up to a week It lasts.
Use mayonnaise as a base for other sauces
Homemade mayonnaise is an excellent base for making mayonnaise with different flavors due to its neutral taste. In this section, we will give you some ideas for making sauces with different flavors:
- Aeoli (Garlic Mayonnaise): Make mayonnaise with olive oil and finally mix two cloves of chopped garlic with it.
- Lemon Sauce: Add chopped red onion, garlic and lemon juice to your mayonnaise.
Tips for making homemade mayonnaise
- Do not use a food processor or blender to make mayonnaise. Be sure to use an electric meat grinder for this recipe.
- Choose high quality oil. The main ingredient in mayonnaise is oil; So choose a high quality oil. Avocado oil is one of the best options for making mayonnaise. Avocado oil has a very neutral taste. You can also use regular olive oil. Avoid using extra virgin olive oil or low quality industrial seed oil (canola, grape seed, peanut, etc.).
- Raw eggs may contain Salmonella bacteria, which can cause disease. If you are worried about using raw eggs, you can use pasteurized eggs.
- Before making homemade mayonnaise, put the eggs out of the refrigerator to reach room temperature. Using cold eggs will prevent your mayonnaise from reaching your desired concentration.
- Always add lemon juice first. Lemon juice helps break down egg yolk protein. Egg yolk contains a natural emulsifier (lecithin) that helps the sauce thicken and mix better.
- Season the mayonnaise with good quality sea salt and add just a small amount at a time. Mayonnaise can easily be salted; Then add salt little by little and test its taste every time.
- Avoid freezing mayonnaise.
- Use only fresh lemon juice.
Common Problems When Making Homemade Mayonnaise
If for some reason your ingredients in the mayonnaise are not mixed well and evenly, you can easily remove it with any of these methods:
- Boiling water: Just add 1 tablespoon of hot boiling water to your bowl and mix quickly again. It may seem a little thinner than usual at first, but over time, as the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, you will reach the desired concentration.
- Yolk: Add another egg yolk to your bowl and mix. The extra yolk mixes all the ingredients together to make a thicker mayonnaise.
And the last word…
You learned how to make mayonnaise. You see, you can make this mayonnaise with just 4 ingredients at home and 5 minutes of your time. This way you can always have a fresh and healthy mayonnaise.
Have you ever made French mayonnaise at home? Share your experiences and opinions on how to prepare this popular sauce with us and our dear users.