In a situation where many people around the world are asked to work from home and turn to telecommuting to fight the coronavirus, suddenly managers and employees want to know how they can increase their productivity and work well at home. You may also be one of the managers who want to understand how they can effectively manage their team remotely. The fact that you are looking for tips and tricks is a great sign; Because emotion is quite right: Remote management is very different from face-to-face management. In order to be able to perform the best in this situation, we recommend that you pay attention to the following points.
In a situation where many people around the world are asked to work from home to deal with the corona virus, suddenly managers and employees want to know how they can increase their productivity and work well at home. In order to have the best performance in this situation, pay attention to the following points.
1. Help your staff deal with “cabin fever” and isolation
In the past, many telecommuters used to go to coffee shops or get out of the house altogether. Unfortunately, with the spread of the coronavirus, many of us are forced to work from home. It is difficult to spend 24 hours a day in one place, whether it is a small apartment in a big city or a big house in a quiet area outside the city.
Encourage your team members to walk daily to deal with this problem. Walking has many cardiovascular benefits and allows you to get out of the house without exposing yourself to coronavirus infection. If they only need to listen to voice calls or talk about something that does not require calling and sharing a video, encourage them to experience a safe walk outside the home (subject to the principles of safe and secure social distancing, of course).
۲. Make sure their workspace is fully equipped
If you always work at home, be sure to have a very good desk, display and all the other necessary facilities in your study. But if you quarantine yourself by government order, you probably do not have any of these options.
To ensure that your employees can create a dedicated and appropriate space to do their work, you can provide them with a sufficient budget to purchase the necessary equipment and facilities. Allow them to take some of their supplies home from the office or ask them to be a little creative and use the facilities at home.
If your employees live in confined spaces, such as apartments, or have spouses and children with them in quarantine and housekeeping, it may be difficult to find work space. Creativity comes into play here. Here are some ideas that you may find useful:
- Couples who have children take care of the children in turn: For example, one parent works from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and then another from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.;
- They use a compact desk with a bookshelf: In small, cramped homes, using a compact desk that also has a bookshelf is better than sitting still and working on the bed or couch;
- Buy cheap and second-hand furniture and tools Price: You can buy cheap office furniture online and have it delivered to your door in a few days.
These days, when things go awry, you need to try different ideas to create the right work environment. Encourage your team members to try different methods and implement practical and useful methods.
3. Increase the duration and frequency of one-on-one sessions
There are so many things happening these days that can cause you and your group stress, anxiety and frustration. In this difficult situation, one-on-one meetings are the best way to support group members.
Prior to the crisis, you and your group did not have to worry about the following:
- How to do things from home;
- Sudden and double-digit decline in world GDP;
- Business closures around the world and the aftermath of these changes;
- Isolation and loneliness at work;
- How should we do our job and reach our previous level and efficiency, despite the recession and layoffs and the reduction of potential forces that have overshadowed all companies?
Your group needs to reduce stress more than ever. In one-on-one meetings, you will find out what your group members are doing. You can keep up with the changes that have taken place in the company and answer their questions.
The corona virus, despite all the problems and troubles it has caused, has caused the telecommuting issue to be taken more seriously and more managers are turning to this method of work. As a manager, you can greatly assist your employees in overcoming the challenges and problems of telecommuting and maximizing their productivity. If you have experience and suggestions for better staff management during telecommuting, you can share it with us in the comments section.